Monday, June 16, 2008

Green Shoppers

So, I like that a lot of people are bringing their own bags when they go shopping. Even before it was en vogue, I generally would ask customers if they wanted a bag, particularly if they were only getting one item. I pretty much ask out of habit, at this point.

The funny thing is, sometimes, people ask for bags when they are buying books like Gorgeously Green.

For instance, today a girl came up to the register to ask if we had any recycled cards. She said she walked around both sides of the greeting card shelf but didn't see them.

"We just starting carrying them!" I said with the required mock enthusiasm. "Let me show you where they are, we don't have many, but we do sell them."

I point them out, on the bottom shelf, and she gave them a quick disapproving glance. Then she asked if we had cards for new babies. So I showed her where those were (we have a nice selection of those) and went back to my register to help another customer.

A moment or two later, she was back to make her purchase, which included neither a recycled card nor a baby card. She complained, "You guys should carry more recycled cards." I replied, "Yeah, maybe once they see people buying them, we'll get more of a selection." I then pointed out that the gift card she was buying is made of a product called Ingeo, made from plants not oil. She hadn't noticed and didn't seem to care.

Out of habit, I asked her if she wanted a bag (for her greeting card and gift card). In a spectacular show of hypocrisy, she replied yes. Seriously?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She probably also drove there in an Expedition. Ass hats!!! I NEVER get a bag, ever, under any circumstance, unless I have more than five items. I also have my own grocery bags and I have for years. They're way better than the disposable ones, anyway!